20110423

20110423

The turtle dove croons a greeting
Is she happy or sad, I can't tell
Old, dead trees and sproutlings
It's the same way the world over
The sky blues and reds coalesce
Painting a picture I can't touch
This is what I was searching for
Perhaps there is no happy vs sad
Our world ebbs and flows apart
Cyclical seesaw of good and bad
Kids are sold false goals early
Grow up prepared for happiness
But the world knows the truth
Peace is at war with itself
Happiness only is so unbalanced
You can strive for neither really
Because the world gives you both
Whether you want them or not
---
and so I woke up and wrote these words on my morning walk with Flynn the terrier mix. i was really looking forward to a decent saturday where i could get some things done and relax as well. it was around 6:45 when i dared traverse that unholy portal to shelob's lair known as my shed. amazingly, the mower started after just a few pulls. the gas can nozzle broke, piece of shit plastic. i left the headphones on although i could only hear a small bit of elliott. i was on my driveway, not even to my front yard, when the following text arrives:

a @ 6:56 AM:
She has been throwing up and shitting on herself half the night. We don't know what's wrong, but you're going to need to come get her pretty soon. I'm sick too. She needs Immodium or something.

i'm livid. i just say fuck it and mow my grass anyway. afterwards, i call my mom and we bitch together a bit at her ineptitude. my former mother-in-law is coming for mother's day, and my dad suggests that i tell her that friday morning that kiddo is sick and can't come, just to fuck with them. i laugh, and then finally reply to a.

me @ 7:41 AM:
Alright.. there are a few things i have to get done this morning, so pretend you're her mom for a few hours, and i'll be by to pick her up before noon.

a:
I have been taking care of her p but she needs to be at home when she can be. i'm sick too. i can't leave her to go to the store and she keeps pooping on herself!

me:
she's not on vacation a.. what if she gets sick on mother's day weekend, you gonna cast her off then too? accept some small modicum of responsibility for a few hours and i'll be there when i can.

a:
It's fine... I just wanted you let you know she's got something, and as I'm sick, I can't completely attend to her. She needs Immodium, which I dont have. Just let me know when you're coming.

after this, i decide to go running. i put in another four miles (ran four yesterday as well) and get back, get cleaned up, do some laundry, and write this blog entry. and i'm in a much better mood. i'm glad i didn't cave in to her whining, at least not immediately. planning on taking a vernors ginger ale over there and picking up my little sweetie in a little bit. have a happy Ēostre, readers.